You must be wondering "WTH IS TAO TAO JU?"
Because I had the same thoughts hehe!

Such funny name this 100-year old restaurant in Guangzhou has. The Cantonese calls it Tao Tao Kui, but for some reason it appears everywhere in English as Tao Tao Ju.

I was really tired after the long walk at Chang Shou Lu, so I happily plonked myself at the table. Only to realize there were no waitresses serving us hot piping dim sum in push carts. It's self-service here! T____T




Here's the auntie at the food counter, distributing dim sum, and noting down it's price on customer's sheets. There were food counters at every floor. If I'm not mistaken, this place is 4-storey tall, and we were at the highest floor!


All the oldies (uncle & aunties) in the trip, were loving it, as it was very 'traditional' tasting, according to them! I don't know what traditional is, because I'm not that old yet, RIGHT? ;)

But to be honest, I was quite surprised by it's dim sum! It's not the usual Malaysian fusion style we have, with all the seaweed, mayonnaise and all, but the dim sum were fresh and tasty! Those prawns were succulent... and really juicy, I'm surprised!









That half-eaten Tau fu fah lookalike thingy, is called Siong Pei Lai or double steamed milk custard. I wasn't expecting it to taste really good.... but it was SO good, that I had to take a picture of it (although I've finished half a bowl!). I want to eat that again!

Another restaurant we went to try was Guangzhou restaurant (what a convenient name!). Apparently the best restaurant in Guangzhou, and was popular with both locals and tourist. But I didn't like it. Maybe I was too full from the previous meal.... or maybe there's really nothing special about the dishes we ordered.





However, the restaurant that I really like, was introduced by my uncle's local relative. This was the food that were on the table. Glorious! Outstanding dishes were Pak Cham Kai or steamed chicken (it came with some seriously awesome soya sauce and onions!) and meat balls.

I don't know the name of the restaurant, as everything is in Chinese! But it is very near the Peasant Movement Train Station (Line 1, Exit A).





But I have their name card tho ;) if you want some authentic Cantonese cuisine in Guangzhou the next time you're there!


One Comment

  1. Hello there. May I know the name of the restaurant with the yummy pak cham kai? :D

    ReplyDelete

Categories